Saturday, May 21, 2011

Great Science Fiction writers

This is a set of short interviews with Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, J.G. Ballard, and Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., talking about their work and how they got started. Consider Adams talking about where the idea for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy came from:

"The actual title came when I was hitchhiking round Europe in 1971. I was lying drunk in a field in Innsbruck – I've now told the story so often, I can only remember the story and I can't remember the event any more, so I have to take my own word for it that it's true – I was lying drunk in this field in Innsbruck and I had with me a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to Europe. And it occurred to me as I stared up at the night sky that somebody ought to write a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. I think this is largely because I thought that Innsbruck was dull."

Check out Great Voices of Science Fiction.

No comments: