Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Eddie Van Halen in the Smithsonian

Well, Eddie himself isn't in the Smithsonian, but his custom-made guitar Frankenstein 2 is now there. In an interview with Beth Py-Lieberman in Smithsonian Magazine, Van Halen talks about his guitar experimentations, and also a little bit about his playing, including one of his favorite collaborations, on "Beat It."

"Quincy Jones called me up and asked me to play on it. When I got there it took me 15 minutes to rearrange the song and I played 2 solos and told them they could pick the one they liked best. Then Michael walked in and said wow! I really like that high fast stuff you do. It was a lot of fun to do. It's crazy that something could take such a short amount of time and can grow into something beyond anything you could ever imagine."

Read Q and A with Eddie Van Halen.

No comments: