Thursday, September 6, 2007

Are America's reading habits YOUR reading habits?

In case you missed it, an AP-Ipsos poll concerning the reading habits of adults made the news in late August. Some highlights:
1. 75% said they had read a book during the last year. The average number of books read were 7 per person per year.
2. The Bible and religious books were number one followed by fiction, history, biographies and romance.
3. 30% of the women polled read romance novels and 10% of the men.
4. More women than men read; married men read more than single men.
5. Midwesterners, older folks, well educated folks, liberals and people who dislike both Bush and Congress read the most.

—Laura

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, let's see.
1) Yes. In that area I suppose I am above average. I don't have an exact number but I read at least a book a month.
2) No. I rarely read the Bible or other religious books.
3) No. I am female, but don't go for romance books. Fine if a good romantic story is part of a grander overall plot, but as a genre I tend to skip it.
4) Well, yes, I guess. I'm a woman and I read. My husband is not a big reader, though.
5) Yes, but I won't divulge how many out of 5 apply to me!