Friday, August 17, 2007

Editor's profile: Tom Clemmons


1. Who is your favorite SE author and why?
There are so many! But I’ll settle for Dick Francis. He writes with economy and wit, and I’m a sucker for mysteries set in England.

2. What is your favorite genre?
Give me a cliff-hanger-filled, information-packed medical thriller, like the fiction of Robin Cook, and I’m a goner.

3. How long have you been working at Reader’s Digest?
Twenty-five years.

4. What is the most memorable book you’ve worked on?
Street Boys by Lorenzo Carcaterra. After editing this richly evoked World War II drama set in Italy, I felt as if I’d lived through the experiences of the novel and actually been to Naples.

5. What classic novel did you never finish in high school or college?
McTeague by Frank Norris

6. What is your favorite children’s book?
The Church Mouse by Graham Oakley

7. What other projects do you work on at Select Editions?
I’m the editorial director of The World’s Best Reading classics series (we’re up to Book #110!).