Thursday, August 16, 2007

Editor's Profile: Jim Menick



1. Who is your favorite SE author and why?
Tough question. Let’s just say I can’t figure out why Michael Connelly is sooo good while being so spare, I get a kick out of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher stories, and I jump on Fannie Flagg books the minute they arrive in the house.

2. What is your favorite genre?
No particular favorite: I like to be surprised. But I do tend not to be much of a fan of gruesome, violent stories. I’ve had enough serial killers to last me a lifetime.

3. How long have you been working at Reader’s Digest?
Twenty-six years.

4. What is the most memorable book you’ve worked on?
Recently that would have to be Dick Francis’s Under Orders, for the joy of seeing a master return at the top of his game, doing what he does best

5. What classic novel did you never finish in high school or college?
Portrait of a Lady, postponed until I was old enough to understand it. No one under the age of thirty should even know Henry James ever existed.

6. What is your favorite children’s book?
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

7. What other projects do you work on at Select Editions?
I manage all the schedules and assignments for the editors, and I tend to be the first one to beat up any new technologies that come our way. Like blogging.